Homemade Wild Maine Blueberry Donuts EASY Recipe
It is blueberry season here in Maine and we have picked pounds and pounds! I have never made homemade donuts before so I had to try. I recently learned that the ingredient in a plain old fashioned donut that I love so much is nutmeg, so I have been experimenting with that! These came out amazing, they taste just like a Dunkin Donuts cake donut with blueberries! They were very easy, my next step is to try and see if they bake up so that we can skip frying.
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3/8 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup confectioners for glaze
- 1 cup blueberries
- Mix vinegar and milk together in a small cup or bowl, let stand while mixing other ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, cream together shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, alternating with the vinegar milk mixture.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/2 inch, sprinkle blueberries all over, gently push in, Cut into doughnuts using a donut cutter (or cup and cap to a soda bottle like we did !) Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil to about 375 deg in a pot, Fry doughnuts in the hot oil until golden, turning over once. Drain on paper towels. Coat with glaze on both sides, serve warm or let stand.