Surviving Familywide Illness
Last week was quite honestly one of the hardest weeks we have ever experienced. It all started out on New Years Eve with a very cranky 10 month old baby who we couldn’t console. We chalked it up to teething and started Tylenol. By New Years Day he was screaming and I ended up calling our on-call doctor’s number to find out what I could do. He had no symptoms other than rubbing his mouth. The recommendation was to alternate the Tylenol with Advil and see how things went. That night we got sleep things seemed better.
Fast forward to Wednesday when Willie started to vomit and was tugging at his ears by the evening hours. We took him to MedExpress which thankfully had no patients ahead of us and we were in and out in no time. Our baby not only had 1 ear infected, but both. Antibiotics, Tylenol and Advil were on deck. This Mama was exhausted.
Thursday I woke feeling more tired than usual, but figured that I hadn’t slept a full night in quite awhile and didn’t think much of it. Jack started to complain of being cold but it was very cold outside and I told him to just grab a blanket. By 2 PM I knew that some sort of virus had gotten both of us.
Thursday night I was very thankful to see my husband come home and at that point neither myself or Jack could stay out of the bathroom. Norovirus… the dreaded stomach bug that no one wants to deal with in their homes. We had been exposed and it decided we looked like good targets.
Patrick called out of work for Friday and I went to bed where I continued to be up and down all night and Jack continued to vomit throughout the evening hours. We couldn’t keep anything down at all. I had not been that sick in a very long time aside from having the same virus last winter while pregnant (that was not fun!)
Saturday Patrick felt bad and he was the next victim. We were officially all sick and there was not a single thing I could do about it.
By Sunday other than lingering tiredness, lack of appetite and crucial headaches everyone seemed to be more on the mend. This week has been slower than usual here; there was stuff I wanted to do but it isn’t happening. The energy is just not there.
I wanted to share some tips that we found helpful while having everyone sick at the same time and sadly only 1 bathroom (AHHH!)
- Stay hydrated– We took small sips of Gatorade and Ginger-ale throughout the illness. Waiting about 15 minutes after any vomiting before attempting any clear fluids.
- When symptoms started to die down I stripped all of the beds down to the mattresses and washed everything including pillows. I am hearing this germ likes to linger and I wanted it to know it had no place here.
- Sanitize Stuffed Animals– Both of our boys like to carry their stuffed friends around, but I knew they had germs too. We have a sanitize setting on our dryer so I washed and dried them, too. They smelled so good.
- Clorox Wipes— I washed down the TV remotes, cell phones, tablets, door handles and anything else we commonly touched while sick.
- Wash Dishes– I was honestly too sick to cook anything at all and what little we did eat over this period of time was mostly take out egg drop soup. I put the dishes into the washer on the hottest setting and also used the heat dryer to get them as clean as possible. Some websites even suggested using throw away dishes during this time because this germ is so hard to kill.
- When we started to eat again we went really light; crackers, toast, apple sauce, etc. Even now Jack’s appetite isn’t 100% but we will build from here.
I hope that everyone stays well as this illness as well as the flu are brutal this year. If you have any tips to add please feel free to share them in the comments.