Top 5 Best Bleaching Cream for Radiant and Glowing Skin
Glowing and radiant skin is the result of a good skincare routine. And one of the first steps you need to address in your skincare routine is evening out your tone. All of the products on the best bleaching cream list work by reducing a pigment called melanin in the skin. But these products also work by solving issues like acne scars, discoloration related to hormones, age spots, freckles, and much more.
Skin lightening products does come with some potential side effects, but if you choose wisely, there should be no such thing. In a sea where there are million fishes, we want to help you choose the right one.
So, if you need to solve hyperpigmentation, or if you have problems with age spots, or just simple want to lighten freckles, find out what is the best bleaching cream on the market.
What determines your skin color?
Before we get to the best bleaching cream, we have to explain how skin color works, and how bleaching works. Your skin color is determined by the amount of melanin you have in your skin. Melanin is a pigment produced by cells called melanocytes. And as a general rule of thumb, people with darker skin have more melanin.
The main factor determining how much melanin you have is genetics. However, there are also other factors that can determine the amount of melanin. For example, sunlight exposure, hormones, exposure to chemicals, and skin damage can also cause changes in your melanin levels.
In some cases, changes in skin color resolve on their own. For example, tans fade when the amount of direct exposure to sunlight is reduced. However, over time, discolorations like age spots become more permanent, and you need to find a way to resolve them.
What is skin bleaching?
Bleaching is a cosmetic treatment that reduces the prominence of discoloration. In terms of skin bleaching, it is a treatment to reduce skin discolorations and even out the color of the skin. Nowadays, there are many bleaching creams you can buy over the counter, or by prescription.
You can apply them only on the affected area, or over your entire body. We recommend applying skin bleaching cream only on the affected area. Most of these creams contain mercury as the active ingredient, and bleaching can do harm.
How do skin lighteners work?
It is rather simple how best bleaching cream works. Creams contain active ingredients, or combination of ingredients that reduce the amount of melanin in your skin. They work topically, and affect only the skin area where they are applied.
In the United States, the most widely used active ingredient is hydroquinone. According to FDA standards, skin lighteners sold over the counter can contain up to 2% of hydroquinone. Dermatologist can write you a prescription for a lightener that contains up to 4% and 6% hydroquinone. Before you use a skin bleaching cream, it is advised that you consult with a doctor.
Some skin bleaching creams also contain retinoic acid which is another active ingredient that can bleach your skin. Some natural ingredients you can find in skin lightening creams include kojic acid, and arbutin.
Are there are any risks and side effects?
The biggest risk when using skin lightening creams is exposure to mercury. According to some studies, 1 in 4 skin lightening creams made in Asia and sold outside the US contain mercury. Products sold in the United States cannot contain mercury per FDA standards. Other side effects and risks include:
- Prolonged use can cause premature aging of the skin
- Long-term usage increases the risk of skin cancer
- Some creams contain steroids that can increase the risk of skin infections
- Your body can absorb steroids and that can lead to health problems
- Hydroquinone can cause unwanted skin discoloration
- Bleaching agents can also cause skin irritation or allergic reaction, depending on your allergy to some ingredients
How to safely apply best bleaching cream?
If you want to avoid all of the side effects and risks of using skin bleaching creams, you need to follow the precautions. Here are some
- Always apply sunscreen when using skin lightener and you go out in the sun
- Make sure there is no mercury in the product. Sometimes, companies list mercury under other names like mercuric, calomel, mercurio, or mercurous
- Make sure there is no more than 2% of hydroquinone in the cream. Only prescribed products can contain more, and those are for severe cases. If there is no amount listed on the label, do not assume it is safe to use
- Ask your doctor for specific instructions how to use the product
Best bleaching cream on the market 2019
This is your best everyday cream. It is perfect for people who like their moisture creamy thick. The active ingredient is Pro-Vitamin B5, which can attract and retain moisture in the skin. When applied topically, the cream reduces melanin production.
The best part about this cream is that it is basically a 3 in 1 solution. It helps you in three ways. First and foremost, it reduces the appearance of dark spots. But it also helps you lighten your skin, and provides protection from sunrays. And of course, it adds moisture to your skin.
Using this cream will help you get a healthy glow, but also prevent your skin from becoming dull. Manufacturer promises results within four weeks. The company has a long and storied tradition and history dating back to the 1950s, so you can expect quality products.
- Protects your skin from harmful UV rays
- Works for all skin types
- Gives you a smooth and silky appearance of the skin
- Can solve your skin discoloration problems
- The package is not suitable for traveling
- Unhygienic tub packaging
Being a natural product, applying this cream carries almost no side effects. You can even apply it before makeup and sunscreen. The cream is enriched with active ingredients like grape, milk enzymes, saxifraga extracts, and mulberry. All of these help deliver a revolutionary formula that blends the benefits of cream and gel.
You can use on normal, combination, and oily skin type. Because there are no moisturizing agents inside, we do not recommend using on a dry skin. The formula also contains sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful UV rays that can darken your skin. Just so you know, there is no hydroquinone in this cream, which is why you get such low price.
The company promises that this cream will help you lighten your skin in 7 days, but you should not expect drastic results so soon.
- Light texture that your skin can quickly absorb
- Great product for summers thanks to sunscreen
- Non-greasy and leaves no white cast
- One of the cheapest and effective skin whitening creams
- Contains no hydroquinone
- Low moisturizing effects, not recommended for dry skin
- Contains parabens
This cream has one of the most potent formulas on the market. It contains 6% glycolic acid, and 2% hydroquinone. Both of these active ingredients are mandatory in bleaching your skin. In the same time, the formula allows you to use the cream on your face, but also chest, neck, and legs. While it is primarily made for bleaching skin, you can also use it for some medical conditions like melasma and rosacea.
Another benefit of using this cream is it contains vitamin E, which helps with any marks and uneven tone of your skin. Vitamin E also brings benefits for your skin like treating microbes and bacteria.
The best part about the cream is that it comes with a pump dispenser. This allows you to easily take the product out. There is no strong smell that usually irritates sensitive skin.
The best way to use this cream is to layer under a sun protection cream for even more protection against the harmful UV rays. If you suffer from hyperpigmentation, you will love the fact that this cream also provides hydration for your skin.
Last, but not least, the packaging makes the cream very handy for traveling.
- Very potent formula for skin bleaching
- You can use on your entire body, not only on face
- Can help with conditions like melasma and rosacea
- Absorbs nicely in your skin
- Leaves your skin darker once you stop using it
- Lightening process is very slow
- The scent is very intense
Contains more than 10 active and advanced ingredients that can help with hyperpigmentation. The cream is marketed as cruelty free and vegan, as it contains no hydroquinone, mineral oils, petrolatum, sulfates, phthalates, or parabens. It can help you reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation, including symptoms like acne marks, melasma, uneven skin tone, and age spots.
The cream is designed for all skin types, and has an airless dispenser that keeps the product fresh. This cream is one of the most popular choices for skin lightening. The company promises that your dark spots will disappear within two weeks of regular usage. And while that is assuring, most users report they see results after four weeks of usage. But that is rather quick as well. And because all of the ingredients are natural, you will get those results in a safe and secure way.
- There are no synthetic ingredients
- The cream delivers faster results than its competitors
- Consistency is great
- Suitable for every skin type, no matter if you have oily or dry skin
- Great for treating blemishes, acne scars, and age spots
- Relatively expensive when compared to other products on the market
- Some people need more time to see results
- If you suffer from severe acne and skin discoloration, this formula will not help
Garnier Skin Naturals
We finish off our list of best bleaching cream with a popular brand. Garnier is known for many beauty products. The mass market cosmetics brand is part of the French cosmetics company L’Oreal. With that in mind, when you buy from Garnier, you know you are getting quality hair and skin care products. The reason why this product has such a low score is because Garnier has not yet specialized in skin bleaching products.
This cream in particular, is effective only for mild cases of hyperpigmentation. The handy trick is that it comes with lemon extracts that will help lighten your skin naturally. We know lemon is a bleaching agent, and thanks to the lemon, your skin will feel smooth, and smell good. The unique formula can help reduce mild symptoms of dark spots, and offer sun protection with an SPF 19 factor. The company claims the cream can lighten your skin by 3 tones in just seven days. But that is just far-fetched. What you will get is a product that will make your skin look naturally lighter, more even, and feel smooth. Regular application will help you re-light the complexion day after day.
- Provides sun protection on top of skin lightening
- The cream is white, very light on the skin, and has a faint smell
- Reduces dark spots
- Helps with hydration and moisture of your skin
- Relatively cheap
- Ingredients are not listed completely in description
- Far-fetched whitening claims
- Does not help with severe cases of hyperpigmentation