Food Lion To Go vs WalMart Grocery Pickup
In our area the world of online grocery shopping is becoming a real big thing. We are more rural than some, but moving up in the world when it comes to technology. I love the idea of being able to curate a list on my phone while literally standing in front of my fridge or pantry and literally keying everything in to a digital shopping cart meanwhile having someone else fill the cart in the store and bring the items to our truck.
Not only is this more convenient, I feel that we are avoiding the flu germs that are heavily circulating our area and also I am able to keep a budget more in check without spur of the moment additions to the shopping cart by both myself and the boys.
Each store has its own set of perks for us, but I wanted to make a list here for others to compare what suits them the best out of the two. These are the only 2 we have tried and I honestly think both have their own individual perks as far as our shopping habits go.
First I will talk about Food Lion To Go because it is the one we tried first. I tried it because I was in a hurry and had a death in my family and a volunteer event pre-scheduled and absolutely needed some groceries in the house.
- Closer to our home
- Usually prompt to get to the car, but on 2 trips we had to call the store due to a wi-fi issue.
- No mistakes even with some very specific requests
- Upon a store outage of a product I received a text from my shopper asking what I wanted instead. This was perfect because the item was a color of cake icing and I was able to change up plans accordingly for what was in stock.
- Usually pick ups are ready before the pick up window allowing us to be really flexible with times.
- We have gotten a gift before which was super nice and thoughtful.
- Easy pick up with no picking a spot number or anything at the store. We just say we are there and our vehicle is saved from prior trips and they come right out.
- Limited pick up times available. Last night at 10:30 I couldn’t even pick up until 5PM today.
- Wi-fi issues as mentioned above. The store has tons of issues with this and it means either having to walk inside or call which defeats the purpose.
- Trouble finding some popular brands on the shopping site (last week I couldn’t get McCormick Meatloaf Seasoning)
- Not a lot of money saving coupons for customers. I did get one for my first order but it ended there.
- They up-charge for substitutions which means a pre-authorization fee on our credit or debit card for an amount more than the groceries.
- $1.99 fee for using the service.
- Paper bags…. I know this sounds insane to some people but I am not a fan and have had several of them burst at the seams from being packed too heavy. They are awkward to carry inside.
Now on to the WalMart Grocery (which is you use our link you can get $10 off $50 purchase!)
- Wide variety of pick up times available
- Easy to use platform for shopping. Was able to find everything I needed with just 1 search per item using simple terms.
- $10 off coupon for my first $50 purchase meant some freebies for us because I had a pretty specific list. This meant more bang for our buck.
- Free substitutions or sizing up when products were not available. This equals 1 charge on the credit or debit card instead of a pre-authorization. You know what you are going to pay the minute you check out.
- Free pick up. Zero fees for using the service.
- Refund on wrong items. I had a very specific request for Hot Pockets Chicken, Broccoli and Cheddar. The mistake was I got Ranch Chicken and boy do I hate the taste of ranch. I went onto the app and said I got the wrong item and a refund was processed with no need to return the item to the store.
- Our pick up window was between 1 and 2 today. I got a text saying the order was delayed and then promptly got an email stating the same. I was pretty upset because I had set my day to go in this time window. Thankfully the delay was short lived and we still picked up within the window.
- Customer service left a bit to be desired but did redeem themselves by calling back really quick to say things were worked out from the delay.
- We have to drive further to get to WalMart but the service fee for Food Lion kinda makes it worthwhile.
So as you can see there are pros to both and cons to both but I feel that WalMart does offer a better service at the end of the day for what you are getting even though we do have to travel a bit further. They also gave us some tips on avoiding the delays by shopping during the week while most people are at work which I will definitely take into consideration next time.