Whether you are heading out on a summer road trip or will simply be spending more time behind the wheel than usual, it’s important that you know how to stay safe when roadside this summer.
After all, there is often an increase in car accidents during this period, particularly during times when temperatures rise unexpectedly. This is because it’s much easier for your vehicle to overheat in high temperatures. Weather changes can also impact driver performance, especially if you are dehydrated.
With that in mind, here are some top tips to stay safe when driving this summer.
- Always have water to hand. According to a recent study “not drinking enough water may make drivers as error-prone as drinking alcohol”, due to the fact it impacts both rational decision making and your ability to focus. As a result, you should always ensure you have water to hand when driving, particularly for longer drives or during hot weather.
- Keep on top of vehicle maintenance. Keeping on top of vehicle maintenance during this time is also essential when it comes to staying safe while driving, especially as you may be more prone to breaking down during this time. Carry out regular inspections of your vehicle for signs of damage, and ensure that your car receives an annual MOT.
- Consider tinting the windows. Tinting your windows brings around a range of benefits – and is not merely an aesthetic procedure. For example, window tints can also protect you from UV rays when driving, while also ensuring your car remains at a comfortable temperature. You can find out more by reaching out to companies such as AGD Auto Glass Direct & Tint Co.
- Drive during cooler hours. Many experts advise against driving during the times of the day when temperatures are at their peak. As a result, you may want to drive in the early morning or late evening when possible. This can prove particularly beneficial for those looking to get the most out of their road trip, as the roads are generally quieter during these times, resulting in shorter travel times (and more time at each destination).
- Pay attention to weather forecasts. It goes without saying how weather conditions can impact your driving experience. As such, paying attention to weather forecasts before getting behind the wheel can also prove beneficial, especially as hot weather can quickly be followed by adverse weather conditions such as storms.
- Ensure allergy medication is non-drowsy. The summer season is often when many of our allergies, particularly hayfever, reach their peak. However, you should make sure that any medication you are taking, such as antihistamines, is non-drowsy, as it is crucial that you are always 100% alert at the wheel.
Brush up on your road safety knowledge. Even the most experienced drivers make mistakes from time to time. As such, you should ensure that you continuously test yourself and develop your road safety knowledge. This will ensure that in case you get into a car accident due to someone else’s fault, you must contact a car accident lawyer to get your personal injury claim. You can go here and read more about how professional auto accident lawyers work for your injury claims.
For example, if you are driving in a new area, try to do some research about the road conditions ahead of time. You should also familiarize yourself with the different driving and traffic regulations in each area you will be driving in, given that they can vary widely from state to state.